Tuesday, April 21, 2009

FPP: Innovations in 3D in-browser technologies

Google Code Blog: Toward an open web standard for 3D graphics (part 2): Introducing O3D

What's interesting about this one is that JavaScript is used to develop the applications themselves. This is in-line with Unity 3D, but with better browser integration. Needless to say, this will undoubtedly compete with Flash within the 3D marketplace in the years to come. It's my hope that Flash loses the battle on this one, especially if there's integration of the 3D technologies-- O3D, C3DL, then HTML5's features such as audio and raster graphics (canvas, for textures, possibly), and finally, SVG or VML for vector graphics. An engine that provides common game functions wouldn't hurt either. It's possible... Is it sane? Let's hope so.

Preferably, there would be a framework that would 'glue' many libraries together. It would check for either library, then check for HTML5 for 2D graphics manipulation and sound, and finally, SVG or VML (such as through the RaphaelJS library).

Check this post out by a C3DL developer. I agree with many of his views, including those on integration and even on SVG. I have spent a lot of time on SVG, but like I always do, I often fall into the wrong track. I'll admit that was the case, as SVG is a very large specification-- as he mentions-- and because of this, it is very slow. Google's API does a lot, and that's great, but I appreciate the C3DL library because it's already reached 1.0 status, and I applaud its integration efforts. Hopefully more will come of this soon.

I will also investigate these implementations and see what I can come up with in the future, as well. It is my sincere hope that these technologies will come together with all the others in the years to come in order to shift application development towards the web, and onto the browser.

No comments:

Post a Comment