Thursday, April 30, 2009

GS: Stirling Auto-- Told ya so

REVOLT: The Segway-maker’s next move

I was just about to tuck in for the night when I came across a story about Dean Kamen's eerily similar idea to put Stirling technology in automobiles. And you know what? He's just the man to do it. He's done a couple things with Stirling engines already, such as his much-publicized water purification system, and putting one in an early Ford engine. The man must also be a fan of Ford motors-- I am as well-- as he is testing the engine in what was once a Ford prototype vehicle. And he's even taken the idea one step further-- since the Stirling engine can run on almost anything that burns, it's a great idea for third-world countries, which can use biogas or anything that's available. It's possible, if we move forward with the technology, as only then will the engine be economical enough to produce in quantity for use in poorer areas.

Let me know when I can get my hands on a General Purpose Heat Source to power my electric Stirling car. Though you'd never have to fill up at a station, just don't drive by any detectors. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment